Thursday, September 16, 2010

Something I've Decided to do.

I've always been bothered by what a consumer I am. I complain and whine about it, and have annoying inner dialogue over the problem, but I've never really done anything about it. And what did complaining ever get anyone? Except exasperated friends?

One of the main things that will gnaw at me is my closet full of clothing. No matter how often I try to give clothing away, I always make up a reason to keep it. Even if I do give some away, I still have so many. And I just go and accumulate MORE. I love shopping and making purchases, but sometimes when I'm in a really hippie-ish mood I'll just stare at my closet and be disgusted.

SO, I was sitting thinking today, and decided until September 16, 2011, I will not buy any NEW clothing. Thrift shops and places like Plato's closet are OK, but no Target, Wal-Mart, Urban Outfitters, WHATEVER. One year without buying any new clothes.

Of course to every rule there is an exception--if I need any new underwear/bras/socks I will buy these new. But I think I'll try to get them from local places, or at least not made in China or anything. I'll try to buy stuff that's American made, or maybe made from sustainable materials.

Honestly, this isn't really that big of a deal. Last week I went to Goodwill and got 2 new shirts--one for $2.50 that was from Hollister, and one for $4 from Charlotte Russe. The only thing I'm picky about really is jeans, because it's hard to find a good pair at a thrift shop, but I think I can probably deal with that by going to Plato's Closet. (Though I want to do that as little as possible, because the stuff there can be pricey!).

I'll keep a vague update of this venture, but I don't think it will really be too big of a deal--it'll just be something I'll do.

Anyone want to join?

1 comment:

  1. Plato's Closet is awesome!! They have tons of jeans at the one here, plus so many other things.

    I commend your efforts in this project. I definitely could not do it for a whole year, though. Maybe 3 or 4 months, tops.

    ReplyDelete